Today’s post is quite late due to life but here is the “D” edition of the A to Z Challenge.
How many of us kept a diary as children?
I certainly did, or at least I tried. I never seemed to be able to keep up with the dated entries.
And, those little ones with the locks, my heart would skip a beat every time I saw one. Receiving one for Christmas was the best gift ever.
None of those little books are still around.
Journaling is a large part of my life. At last count, I have no less than 6 journals that I am currently using.
- I have a spiritual journal. If I have an internal struggle, this is the place where I put all of my thoughts.
- For each of my large stories (i.e. novels), I have a separate journal. Each of these books holds all of my thoughts, research and plans for the piece I am working on. Currently there are four of them on my shelf, along with smaller notebooks for the novella I am working on.
- A purple journal sits on my desk at work to hold all of my to do lists, which continues to grow.
- My everyday bag contains a few journals. These journals include: a basic writing journal for all of those ideas that come along. A date type of journal for notes from any meetings or scheduling. Finally, an actual dated notebook to keep track of personal things, this book also contains to do lists.
- On my nightstand, I have a dream journal. I seldom use it but it is there nevertheless.
- Tucked away in my desk is a gratitude journal. I use this one the least although that doesn’t mean I am not grateful. I simply forget to write them down. I should work on that.
One of the reasons to keep a diary is to keep track of the large events in our lives. A friend keeps a 5-year journal for each one of their children. Keeping the memories, even if only a few lines, is important as we tend to forget as the years go by.
Though most of my journals have very little to do with events, although I may write about those somehow, I can still track my life through them.
This tracking is what is important to me. Seeing how far I’ve come, helps me to realize how far I can go.
What types of diary’s or journal’s do you keep?