Friday Five: January Favorites
January has little to offer. Here in Northern Michigan, the world is cold and white. There may be variations on this but only in shades. This year has been a little more interesting because of the ups and downs in the temperature but still, cold and white.
Even so, there are some good things about January:
1. Cold and snowy days – Yes, this is a good thing – if you get to stay home and watch it through the window, preferably curled up with a good book and a cup of coffee.
2. No major holidays to deal with – This is a favorite thing because the busy-ness that comes with the holidays is over. Life has settled down a bit.
3. Days have more light – The days are growing longer although it is difficult to see. It may only be seconds but the warmth is coming back. In January, every little bit helps.
4. Soup – January is a perfect month for soups, simmered all day – for those cold, snowy days when you don’t have to go anywhere.
5. Warm socks – Staying warm and cozy is an actual goal during this month.
January is the time of the year is for hunkering down and getting through. Unless you like being outside for skiing, snowshoeing or other winter sport, there isn’t much else.
Still, there is something to be said for the stillness. Winter is a time of rest and renewal. We all need it.
Yes, we need it!